As you know, Zaria is one of the most unique cities in Nigeria. Formerly known as Zazzau, it was one of the original seven Hausa city-states and home to the Zazzau Emirate. It is popular for several positive reasons. One of which is the fact that it is housing Nigeria’s largest and Africa’s Second largest university, Ahmadu Bello University, as well as being home to a number of prominent Nigerians.
Below are 10 commonly unknown facts about Zaria that you should know.
- Zaria is a major city in Kaduna State, Northern Nigeria. The city was first known as Zazzau, the capital of the Hausa kingdom, Zazzau.
- Cottonseed and peanuts are all produced in the ancient city of Zaria. Plus, it is the center for Nigeria’s main cotton-growing region.
- It is the birthplace of many prominent Nigerians such as ace entertainer D’banj, Shola Ameobi, football player, Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Former Vice President Architect Namadi Sambo, Masai Ujiri, President of the Toronto Raptors of the NBA and first international winner of the NBA Executive of the Year award but to mention a few.
- The city of Zaria is home to the largest University in Nigeria and the second largest on the African continent, Ahmadu Bello University. Established in 1962, the great citadel of learning is prominent in the fields of Medicine, Law, Agricultural Science, Finance and Pharmacy.
- The city boasts of the great Barewa College that has produced 5 heads of states/presidents in Nigeria. The secondary school was founded in the year 1921.
- The one and only federal government institution that trains pilots is domiciled in Zaria. National College Of Aviation. Established in 1962.
- St Bartholomew School and St Bartholomew Church; Northern Nigeria’s first missionary school and oldest church are situated in Zaria.
- Zaria houses the National Research Institute Of Chemical Technology; Nigeria’s biggest Chemical Institute that developed a pesticide to protect against “Tomato Ebola”.
- Chindit Barracks, Zaria is the only place in Nigeria where recruit soldiers are being trained.
- The only Federal Institute where hides and skin processing is officially being taught in Nigeria is also located in Zaria.
- 3 out of the last four governors of Karina state are from Zaria.
- The only city in Nigeria that has produced both civilian and military Presidents as well as deputies
Cool facts right? Be sure to share them with a friend.